5.12.2007

On Trek

  • These last two weeks I've been on a trek up-country with the Nutrition Agency. Last week the Agency took 4 visitors from African countries (Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia) to visit different villages that had been trained on an initiative to promote exclusive breastfeeding. The visitors were able to meet, discuss and hear about how the villagers' trials and benefits on exclusive breasfeeding has helped their community. Here's a quick rundown of events:

Day 1: Drove to Banjul, crossed on ferry to north bank; drove to Basse at the far end of the country; stayed the night at a health worker's house; to wash off the stickiness of the long day my bucket bath entailed getting swarmed by giant ants, so washing off that stickiness was marginal and tried to get a good nights sleep but impossible due to the unimaginable humidity and no air circulation (living in the city has spoiled me to weather, most other volunteers would punch me if I was to complain about the heat.)

Day 2: Visited different villages; villagers danced and sang for us; had lunch in Basse; drove to Monsakoko in the middle of the country, south bank; stayed at a lodge for the night

Day 3: Continued visiting other villages; I was forced to dance, it was taped, all my counterparts told me how 'well' I danced (in a very well disguised, sarcastic tone); drove home via the south bank road (imagine bouncing sideways, up and down, and in circles at varying speeds for 3 hours straight).

Overall, the visitors learned a lot and it was great for me to go out to the field to see the progress and efforts of the agency in action. I'll post pictures and an outline of my second trek soon.

4 comments:

Me & Me said...

I'll punch you when you get back!!

Always glad to hear of your adventures and its good to know that you were "in country" for a while. I experience tremendous enjoyment picturing you bouncing around like popcorn for 3-hours, and dancing; i imagine you look like Jim Carey in Ace Ventura).

Well enough daydreaming. A new guy, (board shaper), moved into town and he had 4 macheti's from traveling, so picture this:

Me, Jason (shaper), Steve (nieghbor), Christian, Connor and Cameron, all in aussie hats, hacking our way up the mountain cutting a switchback trail to the top. Kids and machetti's, ahh the memories.

They did really great and we were able to cut and create steps up the mountian that begins right out the back door by the squirrel monkey thing. You would have loved this trip, missed ya!! Then we went surfing to cool off.

A nearly perfect day. The only thing that would have made it better? If we would have found and killed a bit rattle snake and skinned and tanned it for hat bands. And (according to Cam) if any mountain lions had come, because we had machetti's and we would have won.

Keep up the post bro. Oh and make sure you bring home a machetti, they are much more useful than postcards and those sorts of things. Heat there, Drought here.

~m

Pat said...

Loved your last post! Oh yeah, you areliving the experience...most of us only "dream" about.

You know how I love HEAT! And snakes. And dirty water. And dancing!

Glad I'm your mom! And you are the gypsy son!

Can't wait for the next "session."

Love mom

Pat said...

Oh yeah, I forgot the sideways bouncing, up and down and whichever!

Nope, I love my TB much too much!

Nathan Roman said...

I didn't read your post, just responding to the comment you left. Glad to see you read my stuff! Miss you too bro, when you comin' back? You mvoin to LA with Adam? I'll move in and it'll be the Grand River House-West! It'll be great! We'll live in Manhattan Beach, surf in the morning, work out of the home office, then volleyball in the afternoon! Then Adam and I can make fun of you to finish it off! Email me: sprtpsych@gmail.com.